Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

One of Those New Years Posts

I'm not big on getting sentimental on New Years' Eve or treating the changing of the year like some momentous occasion. Tonight I'll probably change into my pajamas at five o'clock, drink some cocoa, read a book and fall asleep at nine.  It's tempting for me to feel negative about the past year because, in all honesty, it's been a tough one. Instead of dwelling on the difficulties of 2013, I'd like to focus this post on the fun, rewarding things in my dance life.  I performed and choreographed almost constantly this year and taught so many talented, engaged students.

In January, I became a certified Pilates instructor. I've wanted to teach Pilates for years so successfully completing the course and teaching my first classes felt like a big accomplishment. I'm hoping to complete a more extensive certification in the future and learn more about other fitness methods as well. Maybe 2014 will be the year for that?

In the spring,  I taught my first college ballet and jazz courses. Students from the nearby college take the class at my studio for physical education credit. Teaching these short, half-credit courses gives me new respect for school teachers and college professors and the amount of time they put into grading! Spring 2014 will be my third semester with college students and, hopefully, the semester I finally stay on top of my grading.

In May, my studio produced its annual spring showcase. Directing shows, even dance shows, is way outside of my comfort zone but I'm proud of how it all turned out this year. We had great audience turnout and the kids all seemed to have fun, despite my 36 nervous breakdowns during show week. To everyone I snapped at and to the janitor who may or may not have found me curled up in a small ball in the sound booth when I discovered gigantic ink stains on twelve pairs of brand new tights--I am sorry.

Right after the spring showcase, I leaped into rehearsals choreographing a local production of Rogers & Hammerstein's Allegro. I'd choreographed musicals before, but never one with three separate extended ballet sequences. Most of the cast had minimal dance experience--another challenge. Overall, I was happy with how it turned out and loved being a part of such a good but rarely performed production.  Somewhere in the middle of all those production numbers and jazz squares, my little boy turned one year old and we moved to a new house.

September saw the beginning of a new dance season with all of the usual stress and excitement. We have a solid and growing student base and while there are still times when I feeling like throwing in the towel and becoming a goat farmer or something, I really do love what I do.

Fall whizzed by and I finished the year with another play, Wise Women at The Valley Theatre. For the past week, I've been enjoying a nice break from all teaching and dancing, though I have started the arduous process of ordering costumes for this year's spring showcase--an abridged version of Swan Lake--and begun rehearsals for yet another play.

Looks like I'm in for a fun ride in 2014!

I hope you have a happy new year! Ring it in with at least as much style as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment