Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

BEDA 16: On Stuff Working Out, Grossness, and Fall

    Know what's awesome?

     When everything works out and your stress disappears and your back stops hurting. I'm busy working hard on a few different writing projects, as well as some other random freelance work, and some just-for-fun story writing. When I'm not doing that I am usually dancing, working out, baking something, or worrying about student loan debt. Or working my other job. I have a lot of jobs. I love them. So basically, life is good.
    This weekend, I really thought I'd have to overcome my latrophobia (fear of doctors) and pay a visit to one of those weirdly sterile offices that smell like Purell and rubber gloves and baby tears. My back wasn't feeling any better, and the whole area around my kidney felt swollen and inflamed which sounds almost as gross as it is painful. Thankfully, the symptoms started to reduce this morning, and with the help of some ibuprofen and tiger balm, I made it through three hours of dance class. Maybe the exercise helped because even now, hours later, I'm virtually pain free. I don't do well when I'm injured--sitting still is not my strong suit--so I'm happy that things seem to be fixing themselves, especially since we're well into rehearsals for the full length original ballet we're premiering October!
   Speaking of Fall: can it get here, please? I love summer and my flexible schedule, but I can't wait for sweaters and foliage and pumpkins. I'm also ready to start a new semester, and (hopefully) a new internship. I'm trying not to think about the fact that this will be my last semester of formal education ever. I've always loved school and while I certainly won't miss spending hundreds of dollars on text books or having to write about feminist theory every day, part of me will miss the papers and the lectures and (some) of the class discussions.
     Yeah.  I may look like Luna Lovegood, but I'm a Hermione Granger at heart.

Read last week: 
How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier
The Perks of  Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (Am I the only person alive who didn't like this book?)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (2nd reread in several years.)
Vera-Ellen: The Magic and the Mystery 
Ellen's BEDA post about why she dances. Read it. Everything she says is true.
  

4 comments:

  1. You are NOT the only person alive who didn't like Perks Of Being A Wallflower. It had its moments for me, but overall, no. Very overrated.
    And I second your call for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks for the mention and I didn't mean to make you cry!! I love you so very much and I'm soooooo glad your back is feeling better. I really, really, really want to figure out how to make it to NY this fall. Really really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disliked Perks of Being a Wallflower so much that I never even finished it. Eeuuugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I may look like Hermione Granger, but I'm Luna Lovegood at heart.

    Never read Perks of Being a Wallflower.

    Also I hope your back will get better. I know! I shall pray for it, that's always a good idea.

    It's also weird that it's summer everywhere else. This is my first summer in SF, and it's nothing but overcast and foggy. For two hours of the day the sun comes out. And I always go out with a coat or sweater. But you guys get snow and stuff... trade-offs I guess.

    ReplyDelete