Search This Blog

Friday, August 27, 2010

BEDA 27: Sort-of Running, Nearly Vacuuming, Winning Stuff

   I am incapable of just, you know, relaxing on a vacation due to my constant need to feel busy and productive. That said, I did a pretty good job of sleeping in ridiculously late in my childhood bed (like, literally the bed I slept in as a towheaded toddler). I intended to workout, get straight to work on writing, and vacuum my mom's house for her. I wasn't entirely unsuccessful, but the cruel San Antonio sun cut my run very short and I couldn't really figure out how to use the vacuum properly. Instead, I walked Daisy to the local Starbucks (which seems twice as big as usual coming from the cramped, crowded NYC stores), finished reading a manuscript for my hopefully-new internship at a literary agency, and baked espresso fudge brownies.
   Yeah, I'm probably going to gain a hundred pounds this weekend. Whatever.

My mom and sister are both at work because they have real people jobs, so I have the house to myself. It's nice but it's also kind of lonely and I'm missing Graham a lot. I'm trying to get a few paragraphs written for an assignment that's due soon before I head out to the Riverwalk tonight. We're having dinner at my favorite tea house in South Town, then walking to a great little jazz club for coffee and music on the river. In addition to some much-needed girly time, tonight kind of doubles as a celebration for me. I just discovered that one of my essays won the narrative nonfiction award from a creative writing journal that publishes the work of undergraduate and graduate students of English. I was sort of floored that they even wanted to publish my piece so I'm doubly surprised and honored that it won the award.
     We're closing in on the end of Blog Every Day August and so far I haven't missed a day. I'd like to maintain that trend all the way until the end, but I'm spending the day at the greatest water park in the world tomorrow, courtesy of Rachel, and I can't guarantee I'll have the energy or time to blog at the end of the day. Either way, I hope you all have lovely weekends and enjoy these last few days of summer.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment